INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD
An Institutional Review Board (IRB) is a specialized committee, officially established to review and approve research proposals, required by the Health and Human Services (HHS) regulations that safeguards the rights and welfare of human subjects. IRB determines “the acceptability of proposed research in terms of institutional commitments and regulations, applicable Federal law, and standards of professional conduct and practice” (45 CFR 46).
An essential aim of the IRB is to safeguard human subjects from physical or psychological harm by evaluating the ethics of the proposed research and its methodologies in order to endorse informed harmless and voluntary participation by potential subjects.
Stratford university policy is to apply the guidance and regulations applicable under (45 CFR 46.107) to all human research conducted at the university.
The mission of Stratford’s IRB is to safeguard the rights and safety of participating subjects in research conducted by Stratford’s students and faculty.
The IRB will provide support and guidance to the university’s research community to ensure that:
• The risks to human subjects are reduced by applying procedures consistent with sound research design and that do not needlessly expose the research participants to risk.
• The benefits- the desired outcomes- of the research overweighs the risks- the probability of harm or injury (physical, psychological, social, or economic) occurring as a result of participation in a research study.
• The selection of human subjects for research participation is impartial.
• Full disclosure of the risks and benefits of research participation is made to the participants prior to their participation.
• Sufficient provisions are in place for the protection of the privacy of human research subjects and confidentiality of data.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR STUDENT RESEARCHERS
It is the researcher’s responsibility to make sure that the IRB application and all supporting materials are submitted to IRB@stratford.edu. The IRB staff always confirms receipt of IRB materials. Human subject research data collection should not commence prior to receiving explicit IRB approval from IRB@stratford.edu.
INSTITUTIONAL REVIEW BOARD FAQ’S