The Faculty and Staff have assembled the following additional links to serve as student resource materials. You are encouraged to make suggestions for additional websites that you feel are useful in your research and that others will find beneficial.
HUMANITIES WEB SITES: SUBCATEGORIES
The Avalon Project
- Digital documents relevant to the fields of Law, History, Economics, Politics, Diplomacy and Government. Sponsored by Yale Law School.
- Plays, screenplays and discussions of drama and dramatic productions. Sponsored by the English Server.
Adelaide University Library eBook Collection
- This site provide a small collection of texts that includes classic works of Literature, Philosophy, Science, and Medicine, formatted for ease of reading on the screen. Works can be read online, or downloaded for offline reading.
Humanities Text Initiative
- Full-text books that are available without charge to the public. Listed alphabetically by topic. Hosted by University of Michigan.
Modern English Collection
- Site contains a heterogeneous collection of fiction, nonfiction, drama, letters, manuscripts, and illustrations from the 1500 to the present. Text encoded in SGML and requires a SGML browser. Sponsored by University of Virginia
Oxford Text Archive
- Several thousand electronic texts in a many languages. No charge to the public.
Electronic Open Stacks Home Page
- This site is the University of Chicago's home for image-based texts. Navigate through digital facsimiles by way of the digital table of contents with a page turner or by means of a page navigator. Full-text searchable collections of texts also available.
- Search and browse; arranged by source. Includes Classical Greek texts that influenced Latin traditions. Sponsored by Georgetown University.
Perseus Digital Library
- Perseus is an evolving digital library. Its primary goal is to bring a wide range of source material to as large an audience as possible. It includes the Classics (Greek, Latin, Archeology), Papyri, English Renaissance, the London Collection, and selected US Works. This is a highly recommended site.
- Classical languages, alphabetical by author. Sponsored by University of Washington.
Literature in English
- A collection of full-text English literature, including Medieval (1350-1485), Renaissance (1425-1603), 17th Century (1603-1660). Listed alphabetically by author. Maintained by Anniina Jokinen. This site is highly recommended.
Humanities Text Initiative
- Alphabetical listing of full-text resources that are available on the web. Hosted by University of Michigan.
Hyperizons: Hypertext Fiction
- Full-text version of original hypertext fiction. These stories use hypertext links that are freely available on the web to add dimension and realism to the original story. Hosted by Duke University.
Modern English Collection - AD 1500-present
- Browse by subject. 2,722 titles including 17,518 manuscript and book illustrations (including covers, spines, page images), many of which are publicly accessible. Sponsored by University of Virginia. Includes lookup tool, language tool. Selected Latin texts available.
- Original short stories sponsored by east of the web. You can browse by category or search for a title, author, or keyword. Stories can be read online, printed, or downloaded for reading off-line or on a Palm device.
Philosophy and Religion
- The Bible in nine languages. Includes passage lookup and word search. Select from eleven versions of the Bible.
- Fully indexed and searchable edition of the Catholic Encyclopedia. Hosted by New Advent.
- Archive of Chabad literature, including full books, articles, and commentary
Islamic Texts and Resources Metapage
- Introductory texts and FAQs, the Qu'ran and translations in English and other languages, various interpretive texts, and other related documents. Also books from other religions with comparative texts.
- Philosophical research online, including primary texts and reference works
Secular Web Library
- Historical documents relating to atheism. No living authors included in archive.
- Sites provides the complete text of the extant Avesta, the most ancient scriptures of Zoroastrianism, as well as many Pahlavi scriptures.
British Women Romantic Poets Project
- Full-text works listed alphabetically by author. Both SGML and HTML versions are available. The SGML versions have superior formatting, but require a special browser.
Other Text Collections
Internet History Sourcebooks
- Sourcebook for ancient, medieval, and modern history. The books that tend to have been put online here, or those that have been linked, tend to be those entire books that are often assigned to students in college classes to be read along with the more usual excerpted texts.
Mathematics - Electronic Library
- Site contains online journals, article collections, and monographs in the field of mathematics. All material is in electronic form is access is free. Sponsored by European Mathematical Society.
Medieval Studies Online Reference Book
- An academic site, written and maintained by medieval scholars for the benefit of their fellow instructors and serious students. All articles have been judged by at least two peer reviewers.
Philosophy Text Collection
- Collection of philosophical texts listed alphabetically by title. Currently includes Berkeley, Copernicus, Descartes, Epitectus, Hume, James, Kant, Malebrache, McCosh, Socrates. Online offering is periodically changed.
William H. Calvin
- Articles, talks, and books by William H. Calvin. Most topics relate to biological and cultural evolution