What is a J-1 Visa?


A J-1 visa is a cultural and exchange visa to travel to the United States. Many international students at Stratford University come to the U.S. on an F-1 student visa, but you can also come to Stratford to study on a J-1 visa!


What’s the difference between an F-1 student visa and a J-1 cultural exchange visa?


The F-1 and J-1 visas are a lot alike, but there are a few important differences. You can study at Stratford University on either visa, and you can complete a full degree program on either visa. However, the rules, requirements, and other aspects are different.


Here is a chart that summarizes the differences:


Who should apply for a J-1 visa to study at Stratford University?


Students who would like to enroll in a certificate or diploma program, instead of a full degree should apply for a J-1 visa. Any student who does not wish to complete a full degree program, but would like to study at Stratford University, should apply for the J-1 visa.


Students who want to fully experience and learn about U.S. culture should consider applying for a J-1 visa.


Students who would like to take only a few courses in the United States and transfer the credits back to a degree program in another country should apply for a J-1 visa.


Students who are primarily funded by their home government, a scholarship, an employer, or another institution should consider applying for the J-1 visa.


How do I apply?


To apply to Stratford’s J-1 program, complete the online application and make sure you select “International Student Needing a J-1 Visa.”