Not only has CHS helped me with housing, but with finding friends. And my roommates have taught me about other cultures!
Tysons Glen Apartments
Option 1: Independent Housing
Many students prefer to stay within their communities and find housing through family or friends currently studying at Stratford. This is a very common and popular method of finding housing among international students. Current students at Stratford have a strong network that helps new students find suitable housing.
It is usually cheaper to rent a room in a house or to share an apartment with other students. Rent for a room can range from approximately $350 up to $600. Most houses and apartments are rented on a lease agreement. A lease period is usually twelve months. It can be difficult to find shorter leases, and shorter lease periods usually have a higher per-month rent. A refundable security deposit is required by most landlords and can be equivalent of one month's rent, sometimes higher. Finding housing that matches your needs will require much patience and determination. The good news is that you have plenty of resources at your fingertips to help you search.
You can connect with current students at Stratford through various communities on the web. The International Student Office at Stratford also provides students with useful housing information. Below are some useful places to look for housing listings.
- Community Websites
- General Website
- University notice boards
- Any search engine query for rental housing or apartments
Tysons Glen Apartment Interior
Option 2: CHS Housing
Stratford University has partnered with Collegiate Housing Services (CHS) to offer comfortable and affordable dormitory-style apartments near the campus. CHS provides a leasing program with the following features.
- Individual leases are issued to each student
- Students can choose or be matched with a compatible roommate
- Students are able to transfer between apartments and roommates
- Rental rates include utilities and furniture
- Lease corresponds with school term
- Apartments have many amenities to enhance student life
- On-site CHS representative assigned to Stratford
The most popular housing locations and facilities fill up quickly, particularly during the fall terms. Collegiate Housing Services will always do their best to provide housing at the time of registration
CHS Housing Configuration
The typical housing configuration is a furnished, two-bedroom, two-bathroom apartment shared by up to four Stratford students of the same gender. In most cases, two students will share a bedroom. Other higher-cost housing configurations may be available upon request. CHS is currently placing students in four apartment complexes (Tysons Glen, Devonshire Square, Riverside Park, and Foxchase of Alexandria). Other apartment complexes may be brought online from time-to-time.
CHS Shared Roommate Program
The CHS shared roommate program has helped thousands of students by providing a flexible leasing environment that takes care of many housing headaches. Students are able to concentrate on preparing themselves for school and their studies while leaving the housing hassles to the student housing professionals. Since students are placed on individual leases, they are protected from a roommate's inability or unwillingness to pay their share of the rent. It should be noted that Stratford and CHS are independent corporate entities.
Tysons Glen Apartment Kitchen
CHS Application Process
To secure your apartment, you must complete the following actions.
- Enroll in a Stratford program.
- Complete the online CHS Application for Housing form.
- Submit your $50 housing application fee online to CHS.
- After acceptance, submit signed lease with $250 deposit to CHS.
- Prior to move-in, submit first month's rent with $30 furniture damage waiver fee to CHS.
- Applications received less than 30 days before move-in may be placed on waiting list.
To ensure that you receive the housing you desire, Stratford University encourages you to send your application fee and your housing deposit to the CHS Corporate Headquarters in Indianapolis at least 30 days (preferably 60 days) before registration.
CHS Payment Information
Please make all payments using the following procedures
- Payments can be made by check, credit card, or ACH transfer.
- Make checks payable to: Collegiate Housing Services, Inc.
- Mail checks to: CHS Processing Center, 5175 E 65th St, Indianapolis, IN 46220
- Payments can also be made directly to CHS representative assigned to Stratford.
CHS Terms and Conditions
Please be aware that the following terms and conditions apply to your housing.
- All rent after the initial payment is due on the first day of the month.
- The second month's rent will be prorated if the lease start date occurs in the middle of the month.
- Additional housing deposit (beyond $250) may be required in some high risk cases.
- Receipt of housing deposit reserves apartment space and locks rental rate.
- The application fee is nonrefundable.
- Written cancellation must be received thirty (30) days prior to move-in for housing deposit refund.
- Housing deposit will be returned after completion of lease, if apartment is clean and undamaged.
- Pets are not permitted.
CHS Housing Points of Contact
Please communicate with CHS directly about your housing arrangements. Collegiate Housing Services will be on the Tysons Corner campus every other Wednesday and during orientation. Specific contact information is below.
- Pablo Simmonds, Director of Housing at Collegiate Housing Services
- If the Director of Housing does not resolve your problem
Stratford University provides this information as a courtesy to its prospective students. While every effort is made to verify the accuracy of the information provided to us, Stratford makes no warranties as to the suitability of these outside housing accommodations.